Friday, December 5, 2008

There is only a week left!

I am going home in 8 days. This is a crazy thought - my time in Prague has been spent. I am furiously studying for my finals now, after which I will be furiously packing and moving out and cleaning... but for now...

I'm looking back on what I've learned...
  • The effect of national identity on the personality of a people.
  • How Europeans (and ex-pats) feel about America - and more specifically, our new President-elect.
  • That journalism means something completely different in places where democracy is young.
  • The history of art in the Czech lands. And, that I really like art - though I may never be able to produce it :)
  • At least 3 new perspectives on Stalin and communism in Eastern Europe.
  • The history of Prague and the Czechs - in art, fiction, journalism, and politics...
  • Lots of fun facts about Prague, Dresden, Berlin, Athens, Finland, Estonia, Slovakia, and Krakow... including where the big churches are.
  • That I can learn languages (and German wasn't just a fluke) - I think I might try to pick something else up when I get back (Arabic? Spanish?)
  • That I can show up somewhere and start my life from scratch with no contacts or language skills (as long as I have a map!) - and that it is completely possible to communicate without language. mostly.
  • That I can cook for myself - even if it's mostly disgusting and bland :)
  • How people/I search for the familiar in foreign places (see: bohemia bagel).
  • How crazy drama gets when six 20-year-old girls live in an apartment together for 3 months.
  • And - on that note- how to say "it's complicated" in Czech. (to je komplikace)
See you soon!!

1 comment:

Azalea said...

You have learned a lot! I proud!